Many new computers now only has USB port, and this serial to USB adapter might be the only help for old devices that provides only RS232/COM Port. This serial adapter uses FT232 USB-RS232 converter IC from FTDI (Future Technology Devices International). The main features of this USB serial adapter chip are:
- 384 byte receive buffer / 128 byte transmit buffer for high data throughput
- Full hardware assisted or X-On/X-Off handshaking
- RS232 link from 300 baud to 920K baud
- Single Chip Multi-Function Data Transfer Solution
- RS422/RS485 Link to 2000K baud
- Support for Event Characters and Line Break condition
- Auto Transmit Buffer control for RS485
- Integrated 3.3v Regulator – No External Regulator Required
- 4.4v .. 5.25v Single Supply Operation
- UHCI / OHCI Compliant
- Compact 32 pin ( 7mm x 7mm ) MQFP package
- Integrated 6MHz – 48MHz Clock Multiplier aids FCC and CE compliance
- USB 1.1 Specification Compliant
- USB VID, PID, Serial Number and Product Description Strings in external E2PROM.
Many application can be built based on FT232 chip, for example: USB Instrumentation; USB-USB data transfer cables; USB-PDA Interface Cables; USB- RS232 Converters / Cables; USB-RS422 / RS485 High Speed Industrial Links; USB Digital Cameras; USB-USB null-modem cables; USB-Serial Bar Code Readers; USB ISDN and ADSL Modems; USB-56k / V90 Modems; USB I/F for MP3 players; Ultra-high performance Serial Port for legacy -free PC system boards / Easy PC’s;
The circuit is very simple, need only few components to complete a working converter. More information about datasheet and application notes can be obtained in FTDI website (www.ftdichip.com).
Possibly Related Articles:
- RS232 to RS485 Converter
RS485 interface gives some more benefits compared to RS232: simplicity and the robustness for long distance transfer. RS485 is simpler because it uses only two wire (or a single pair)...
- TTL-RS232 Level Converter Using MAX232 IC
Using MAX232 integrated circuit, you can build a TTL-to-RS232 level converter that totally comply with RS232 electrical specification. The IC generate the higher positive and negative voltage (+10 and -10...
- Simple TTL-RS232 Level Converter Using Transistor
Using only transistors as the active components, we can build a simple and low cost TTL-to-RS232 level converter. It uses only two transistors as the active components. Here is the...
- Three Wire RS232 To RS485 Converter
The schematic diagram below show the circuit diagram of an RS232 to RS485 converter circuit. The EIA-485 standard, a.k.a TIA/EIA-485 or RS-485, is a physical layer standard defining the electrical...
- PC (Audio) Signal Generator Using RS232 Port
Using an RS232 port, we can generate square wave oscillation when transmitting data, and this can be “misused” as signal generator (square wave generator). This is a PC Signal generator...
- RS232 (COM) Port Pinout Diagram
This pin diagram will be useful when viewing these connectors. Sometimes you hold a soldering iron to the back of the connector, and you don’t remember the numbering of the...
- RS232 Line Driver Power Supply
This is a RS232 Line Driver Power Supply circuit. This circuit can gives an output of ± 12V at ± 40 mA and only requires an input voltage as low...
- Current to Voltage Converter
In the simplest form, current to voltage converter can be implemented as simple as one resistor, since a voltage is developed when an electrical current flow against a resistance. The...
- Telemetry System with TC9400 V/F Converter
The TC9400 converts the analog input (Vin) ito frequencies (10Hz to 100KHz) which can be used to modulate an RF transmitter in a telemetry system. At the other end, The...
- 26V-to-5000V DC-DC Converter
This circuit can provide 5,000 VDC from 26 VDC. This circuit has ripple of under 0.01% due to Voltage-doubling capacitors. As sinusoidal oscillator, a 2N217 transistor is used. The diode...
- 13-Bit A/D Converter with TC9400 VFC
If we don’t need a very fast analog-to-digital conversion (ADC), by combining TC9400 V/F converter with a counter, latch and time base, we can build a13 bit binary A/D converter....
- Anti-Log Converter
Anti-log or exponential generation is simply a matter of rearranging the logarithmic circuitry. The circuit diagram below shows the circuitry of the log converted to generate an exponential output from...